Thursday, February 24, 2011

/\/\ /\ Y /\ shows out...again!


"M.I.A!..You know who I am!"  Sri Lankan blood, London born, the exotic beauty known as M.I.A has once again hit...and hit hard.  Known for her political messages, electric beats, and rhythmic vocals, this rapper released her album /\/\ /\ Y /\ in July 2010 (yes, almost a year ago).  I had been meaning to check out the album as soon as I heard of its release, but I hadn't listened until my purchase. I went to an electronics store, eager to score some great music.  I found a couple of John Mayer albums I don't have, Nicki Minaj's Pink Friday, and other tempting CDs.  I chose some much anticipated releases though, MGMT's Congratulations, the Tron Legacy soundtrack (score created by one of my first loves, Daft Punk!) and "Maya".  Yes, I paid a few extra bucks for the special edition "Maya", but I'd say it was worth it.  As soon as I took a listen, I gravitated toward the following tracks:

  • Track 2: Steppin Up: With a hard hitting beat that makes you wanna dance, the sound of power tools may surprise, but in no way could annoy.
  • Track 3: XXXO:  Seductive sound with pop appeal, this song has underlying messages.  Once you see the video, you can't deny your love for this track.
  • Track 16:  CAPS LOCK:  Something about this slow track and simple bass makes a serene mind state.  M.I.A's chill rapping and effortlessly cool vocals makes this song a good ending note.
This is my first M.I.A album that I actually own (#dontjudgeme), but I've been a fan for some years now.  If you like the quirky, almsot genre-less sound of this artist, I do suggest this one. Gotta love the album artwork also! Check out the video for "XXXO" below, I automatically got the concept and graphic use. Too clever.

No comments:

Post a Comment